Enabling down payments on invoices
1. Go to the Invoices tab.
2. Create a new invoice as normal, including your customer, products/services and payment terms.
3. Enable down payments by clicking on Payment Schedule on the right-hand side of the screen.
4. Under the Payment schedule drop-down menu, select whether you want to send your down payment request on the same invoice or with a separate advance invoice.
5. Click on the Edit down payment request link which is now on your invoice to open a pop-up window where you can set the down payment total, the down payment due date, whether or not to include prorated VAT (i.e. distributed proportionally), set a project name, and whether to set the down payment as a percentage of the total, or as a specified amount.
6. Click Save to add the down payment to your invoice. The down payment and total due after down payment, along with the due date for the down payment, will now be visible on the invoice after the Total amount due.
7. Click Approve and send to approve your invoice for sending. Select whether you want to send you advance invoice only, or both invoices at the same time.
8. Send your down payment invoice to your customer as normal.
- Down payments are only available on our Premium plans.
- When separating your down payment into two invoices, the issue date will be the same for both invoices even if the due dates are different.
- After approving your invoice(s), you will see a separate invoice image preview (e.g. Advance invoice, Final invoice) for each down payment invoice.
- Once your customer has paid the down payment, the invoice status will be set as Sent. You can only mark your invoice as Paid after the remaining amount has been paid.
- Once you’ve set up your down payment and approved your invoice, it will receive the next number in line with your invoice numbering sequence. If separating your down payment over two invoices, the advance invoice will receive the next invoice number, and the final invoice will receive the subsequent invoice number in line with your invoice numbering sequence.
- When sending the advance invoice as a separate invoice, the final invoice will not be sent at the same time. It will need to be sent separately from in Invoices tab.