How to set up a Recurring Invoice Profile
1. There are three ways you can create a Recurring Invoice Profile: by selecting the Recurring profiles subtab and clicking New recurring profile, when creating a new invoice by clicking on the New invoice dropdown menu and selecting New recurring profile, or when creating a new invoice, by activating Recurring Invoice option on the right-hand panel under Invoice Settings.
2. This will open the recurring invoice settings box at the top of the invoicing editor. Here, you can set the first invoice date (replaces date of invoice; cannot be set in the past) and the Frequency of recurring invoice as:
- Monthly (same day as first invoice)
- Monthly (end of the month - also changes first invoice)
- Biweekly (every second week)
- Semiannually (every 6 months)
3. Select the sending Duration - this can be set to repeat a defined number of times, or to repeat indefinitely.
4. Select Delivery - you can select between Create and send by email, or Create only options. Create only will recurring invoice profile will generate the first invoice, but will not send anything and will need to be activated at a later date. At this time it is only possible to send recurring invoices by email, but you can send invoices created by recurring invoices by e-invoice and post by selecting it in the invoice list and clicking More -> send by e-invoice/send by post.
5. Select whether or not you want to be notified each time an invoice is created or sent, by activating the corresponding tick-box.
6. Click on Edit message to open the recurring invoice sending modal, where you can set the recipients, and edit the message. Please note that the email subject line is automatically set and cannot be edited. At this time it's also not possible to add attachments to recurring invoice profiles.
7. Click Preview to preview the first invoice, along with a summary of the recurring settings you just set up. Click on Save draft to create a draft recurring invoice profile that is not active yet and will not generate invoices yet. Click on Start recurring profile to create a recurring profile that will start generating invoices on the date of the first invoice. If the date of first invoice is the same date of first sending, then the first invoice will be generated and the recurring invoice profile will begin.
Following up on recurring invoice profiles
Once a recurring profile is created, it can be accessed from the Recurring profiles sub-tab of the Invoice tab. All the necessary information about the recurring profile can be found from here, including the Customer, Date of creation, Frequency, Repetition (e.g. how many invoices were created so far), and Status (Active, Inactive, or Completed):
- Active denotes profiles that are currently sending invoices.
- Inactive indicates paused profiles (i.e. invoices are not being sent).
- Completed are profiles that have sent the predetermined number of invoices - these cannot be reactivated.
Under the Recurring profiles subtab you can manage the status of your profiles, see the invoice sending history, see when the next invoice will be created, and edit the recurring profile to change the subsequent invoices. Finally, you can delete a recurring invoice profile by selecting it and clicking delete.
- If the date of a recurring invoice profile is set as the 31st of each month, it will be created/sent on the previous day on months that have fewer than 31 days.
- When setting the frequency of a recurring invoice profile as Monthly (end of the month), the first invoice will automatically change to the end day of the current month.
- The information in the email will be the same for each invoice sent in the recurring invoice profile, except the invoice number shown in the email subject line.
- If there are any issues with the sending of your invoices, you will be notified under the invoice History tab.
- If you delete a recurring invoice profile, it will not appear under the Deleted tab, and cannot be recovered.
- Recurring invoice profiles do not support Custom Payment Schedules or Down payments.