EU is introducing new laws and regulations regarding invoicing best practices for entrepreneurs. We are therefore happy to introduce our new invoice editor, which will ensure that the way you create your invoices is compliant with new EU laws and regulations.
Your Zervant account will be updated on your behalf during the first quarter of 2018.
In this article, we provide information on how this update will affect the way you use Zervant in the future.
New invoice creation flow
In accordance to new EU regulation, editing or deleting approved invoices will not be allowed. One of the main improvements of the new invoice editor is therefore the distinction between draft invoices and approved invoices. See more about drafts and approved documents here.
New invoice numbering
With the new invoice editor, the invoice number is only attributed when the invoice is approved. Invoice drafts do thus not get an invoice number which enables you to modify and delete drafts.
Furthermore, in order to avoid gaps in the invoice numbering for approved invoices, the invoice numbering in the new editor will be based on a base invoice number. The base invoice number will be set in the beginning of the year, which means that you do not have to worry about setting the invoice number for every invoice separately.
The base invoice number for 2018, will be 20180001, which will be your first invoice number for that year. This means that the new invoice numbering process will begin already before you get the new invoice editor, as it starts with the first invoice you create next year (2018).
For more detailed information about the new invoice numbering process, click here.
Handling invoices created before the update
The new invoice editor is developed based on new and better technology compared to the current editor. Because the underlying technology is so different, the new invoice editor will not be able to process invoices created with the old editor.
Old invoices (created with the old invoice editor) will therefore be locked, once you have updated to the new version.
Below are some tips on how to work around the limitations this causes.1. Editing an old invoice - In case you would need to edit an old invoice you should create a credit note to cancel the old invoice and then create a new invoice with the new editor. NB! See how to create credit notes for old invoices in the new version below.
2. Deleting an old invoice - In order to “delete” an old invoice you should create a credit note to cancel the old invoice. NB! See how to create credit notes for old invoices in the new version below.
3. Creating a credit note from an old invoice - In order to create a credit note for an old invoice, manually create a new “negative invoice” (meaning a completely new invoice which is identical to the old invoice, but with negative sums). Change the header of the negative invoice to “Credit note”, and add a comment to the message field with the number of the old invoice. Finally, mark both the original and the new negative invoice as “paid”.
4. Creating a reminder invoice from an old invoice - If your customer has not paid an old invoice in time and you would like to send a reminder invoice, you can just send the old invoice again. You can specify in the invoice email text that it is a reminder invoice.
5. Copying an old invoice as new - In order to create a new identical invoice you will have to create a new invoice from scratch.
You will still be able to view, send and download invoices created with the old invoice editor, as well as modify their status (paid, not paid, etc.).
Handling estimates created before the update
Similarly to the limitations regarding the old invoices mentioned above, the new editor will not be able to process estimates created with the old editor. After your account has been upgraded, it will therefore not be possible to:
1. Create an invoice from an estimate created in the old version
In this case we recommend creating the invoice from scratch.
2. Copy an estimate created in the old version as new
In this case we recommend creating a new estimate from scratch.
3. Delete an estimate created in the old version
Unfortunately there is no viable workaround for this limitation, and we apologize if this causes any inconvenience for you. Estimates do however not affect your reporting in Zervant, so any extra estimates do not create any problems for you in that sense.
Temporarily dropped functionalities
Due to fundamental changes in how the new editor works, some functionalities currently available will not be included in the first release of the new invoice editor. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we will try to reintroduce these functionalities again to the new editor as soon as possible.
1. Recurring invoice profiles
In a nutshell, this means that you will no longer be able to create new recurring invoices in the new software version. Furthermore, any old open recurring invoice profiles will be stopped so no new invoices will be created automatically.
If you happen to have open recurring profiles, you’ll still be able to see them, as “Recurring invoices” will still be available in the drop-down menu on Invoices tab. When this view is selected, you will be presented with a list of all recurring profiles created by you so you’ll be able to see which profiles didn’t finish their lifecycle. You will then be able to create manual invoices based on the information shown under each profile, if needed. As mentioned above, existing old invoices (created by recurring profiles) can’t be copied.
2. Reminder invoices
The option to send reminder invoices will also be temporarily dropped. In case you would need to send a payment reminder, we suggest you to send the original invoice again. You can specify in the invoice email that it is a reminder.
3. Receipts (dropped indefinitely)
Due to a limited amount of use, the ability to create receipts will be removed from the product indefinitely. You will still be able to find your old receipts on the tab Reports -> Accounting reports -> Transactions report for accountant -> choose the period -> Download report -> Download attachments.