Each invoice must have its own unique invoice number. This number serves as an identifier for the company to keep track of each invoice. While there are different legal requirements depending on the country, for the sake of clarity and standardisation, a sequential invoice numbering system is recommended. Zervant automatically assigns a sequential number, which applies to both invoices and credit notes.
When you create your first invoice, the invoice number will be TEST-1. You can use this test numbering sequence to try out the invoicing process. Please note that any invoices approved with this test numbering sequence will also show in your Zervant reports, so remember to issue credit notes to cancel them out, or simply delete those invoices (More -> Delete).
When you are ready to create official invoices, you can click on Choose and set the number series:
You can choose if you want to have a prefix and where to start the numbering, for example 2018-1 (year and number), or 201805-1 (year, month, number).
Add new sequences
Once you have set a sequence, e.g. 2018-1, the numbering continues sequentially: 2018-2, 2018-3 etc. Please note that you can NOT change the invoice numbers in that series any more (e.g. 2018-100, 2018-101, 2018-102…). What you can do, though, is start a new sequence with a new prefix.
To do this click on Choose again:
- The actual invoice number will only be allocated once you approve the invoice. An invoice draft will always have the next possible invoice number as a placeholder before it's approved, meaning that multiple drafts can have the same number.
- The prefix and the invoice number fields can only include numeric characters (not letters or special characters “-/.,” ). Please note that if you choose to have a prefix, our system will add a dash by default.
- Your invoice prefix or number cannot start with a zero (0). So, if you're already using numbering such as 20180001, 20180002 etc. it's better to continue with this sequence. If you do decide to change your invoice numbering in the middle of a financial year though, please make sure you consult your accountant first.
- The prefix is an optional field. You can also leave it empty.
- For estimates you can choose the numbering freely. However, you can’t use letters or special characters. If you create an invoice from an estimate, the invoice will have the next number in line with your invoice numbering sequence.
- Editing an invoice will not change the invoice number nor is it possible to edit the invoice number of an approved invoice.
- Please note that if you delete an invoice, you cannot use the same invoice number again and the numbering continues as usual.