Zervant uses a semi-automated sequential numbering system. This is to ensure that all your invoices are assigned a legally-compliant invoice number, avoid duplicate invoice numbers, while still allowing you to flexibly change your invoice numbering sequence when needed.
Once set, Zervant automatically assigns a sequential number, which applies to both invoices and credit notes.
Your first invoice numbering prefix is automatically set as TEST
When you create your first invoice, the invoice number will be TEST-1. This serves to notify you of any test invoices created when you’re first trying out the invoice creation process. You will need to change this prefix yourself once you’re ready to start invoicing your customers.
Setting your invoice numbering sequence
When you are ready to start creating invoices for your customers, you can set an invoice numbering sequence of your choice by creating a new invoice, and clicking on Change (next to Invoice number).
This will open the invoice numbering menu:
Here, you can add a new (optional) invoice numbering prefix (e.g. 2019). Doing this will automatically add a hyphenated sequential invoice number (e.g. 2019-1). The hyphenated number does not need to start at one (1) - you can set it to any number you would like (e.g. 2019-3, 2019-999 etc.). Once you have set a sequence (e.g. 2019-1), the invoice numbering continues sequentially (e.g. 2019-2, 2019-3 etc.) with each approved invoice.
Once you have set your invoice numbering sequence and approved your invoice, the numbering sequence CANNOT BE EDITED. This also includes invoice numbering sequence without a prefix (as ‘no prefix’ acts as a set prefix). You can, however, assign a new prefix to start a new numbering sequence.
- Any TEST invoices approved will also show in your Zervant Reports. You will either need to issue credit notes, or simply delete those invoices (More -> Delete) to nullify them.
- The actual invoice number will only be allocated once you approve an invoice. A draft invoice will always have the next possible invoice number as a placeholder before it's approved, meaning that multiple drafts can have the same invoice number.
- The prefix and the invoice number fields can ONLY include numeric characters (not letters or special characters ‘-/.,’ ).
- Your invoice prefix or number CANNOT start with a zero (0) (e.g. 0109-0001, 2019-0001).
- You can choose your estimate numbering freely. However, you cannot use letters or special characters. If you create an invoice from an estimate, the invoice will automatically be assigned the next number in your invoice numbering sequence.
- If you delete an invoice, you cannot reuse the same invoice number.
- If you have set your invoice numbering prefix to match the current year (e.g. 2019), it will NOT automatically change at the end of the year. You will need to add a new prefix at the start of each financial year (e.g. 2020).